The Climate Council has released the new report Be Prepared: Climate Change and the Australian Bushfire Threat. The top 6 facts from the report are:
- Climate change is already increasing the risk of bushfires.
- In southeast Australia the fire season is becoming longer, reducing the opportunities for hazard reduction burning.
- Recent severe fires have been influenced by record hot, dry conditions.
- In the future, Australia is very likely to experience an increased number of days with extreme fire danger.
- It is crucial that communities, emergency services, health services and other authorities prepare for the increasing severity and frequency of extreme fire conditions.
- This is the critical decade.